Believe it or not, I see so many designers flying without a net, which is what I call it when you work without a letter of agreement or with one that has absolutely no protection for you in it. A letter of agreement is just another word for a contract, but it sounds much friendlier. Most importantly, a letter of agreement will outline all stipulations, clauses, and information that you and your client need to set up a positive and professional project timeline.
Your business needs to have a document that provides protection for your profits and peace of mind for you as the principal of the firm while at the same time providing clarity and confidence to your client. And even though this is so important, the legalese that most contracts are written in often makes both designers and clients uncomfortable and overwhelmed.
My attorney-approved letter of agreement template is written in plain English and covers everything needed for protection from any snafus that may arise. And in today’s episode, I will walk you through my process of creating the right letter of agreement that is not going to overwhelm you or your clients but will still provide all of the clarity, confidence, and cohesiveness needed for your next project.
In this episode, you will hear:
- How to craft a thorough and protective letter of agreement in plain English that will be easy for you and your clients to navigate
- Which clauses to walk your clients through when reviewing your Letter of Agreement
- The importance of presentation and ease of information when crafting your letter
Subscribe and Review
Have you subscribed to our podcast? We’d love to welcome you to our creative community, if you haven’t yet subscribed.
We’d truly appreciate it if you drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and spreads the word about the podcast.
- View my Letter of Agreement template here
- When you’re ready to take your design practice to the next level, explore your expert coaching and training options with Melissa Galt.
- Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn @MelissaGalt and TikTok @MelissaGaltBusinessCoach