Sourdough toast with sour cherry jam might just be my secret ingredient to celebrating the wrap of a recording session, but it’s the client-designer relationship that’s the true bread and butter of our industry. Today, I peel back the curtain on the collaborative dance we engage in with clients, sharing candidly how a project’s end can actually become the beginning of a lifelong partnership. And while it can be easy to get caught in the trap of viewing your clients as adversaries to your vision at times, I’ll help you discover why embracing clients as precious gifts can redefine your entire approach to your craft.
As we weave through, you’ll learn to recognize that the codependency which underpins a service relationship can actually be pure magic for your design process. Passion is the compass that should guide our business endeavors-–and when we start to see clients as fuel to that fire rather than obstacles to our process, our creativity can only grow. Whether it’s the thrill of a new client aligning with our values or the spark of creativity reignited, this episode is an ode to infusing our work with soul. So join the conversation, share your thoughts in our Interior Design Business Mastery Facebook group or slide into my Instagram DMs – let’s continue to champion the joy in our professional and personal journeys together.
In this episode, you will hear:
- The importance of client-designer relationships as foundational to the design industry
- Why treating clients as allies will help you cultivate a service relationship that feels like a gift
- The impact of perspective on client interactions and the overall success of design projects
- Strategies for engaging with clients to create rich, long-lasting relationships
00:00 Clients can be viewed as allies or obstacles
07:54 How to engage clients by assigning specific tasks, creating an air of collaboration
12:18 How to continue seeking your passion and reinventing yourself
14:50 Using positive energy to connect with clients
22:03 Strategies to manage difficult clients
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
- For more information about The Affluent Creative, check out my website www.melissagalt.com
- Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn @MelissaGalt and TikTok @MelissaGaltBusinessCoach