Today is all about great expectations. We’re talking about creating profitable client expectations for every project, every time. When you enter into a design agreement with a new client, there needs to be clarity and transparency at all stages of the conversation. Too often I hear from designers frustrated that their clients don’t have realistic expectations of their work. Working this way is stressful on both ends–the client and the designer– because it creates false expectations and preconceived, inaccurate, notions.
The solution may not be easy, but you have to remember that you are in charge of helping your client create appropriate, realistic, and profitable (for your benefit!) expectations. You have to be brave enough to shine a light on those false expectations and inappropriate or preconceived notions and show your clients the truth diplomatically and professionally. Because if you don’t, it’s going to land you in a great deal of frustration, stress, and potential loss of profitability—none of which I want you to endure.
In today’s episode, we’re digging into my strategies for maintaining that crucial sense of transparency at all stages with your clients. I’ll help you to navigate your process with the intention to set clear expectations for your client.
In this episode, you will hear:
- How to address false client expectations
- The importance of having clear expectations at the start of your design journey with a client
- What to include in your design agreement to help set those expectations early
Subscribe and Review
Have you subscribed to our podcast? We’d love to welcome you to our creative community if you haven’t yet subscribed.
We’d truly appreciate it if you drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and helps spread the word about the podcast.
- See my resource guide to recap the information from today’s episode.
- When you’re ready to take your design practice to the next level, explore your expert coaching and training options with Melissa Galt.
- Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn @MelissaGalt and TikTok @MelissaGaltBusinessCoach