Let’s face it, as designers, we are in a business that is very complex, which can create a lot of frustration for our clients through everything from the long lead times to construction challenges. Your communication can not only land you the project, but it can also keep your client happy through that long dark tunnel of design.
As designers, we’ve got to remember that while we are used to the stress and frustration of the design process, our clients aren’t. But, if you are following the most important keys to communication, you will keep things on track, moving forward, and alleviating your client’s frustration just by paying attention to them.
Today we are diving into my 20 keys to effective client communication. And I want you to grab a pen and paper to jot these down! Applying these effective guidelines for communication will serve both you and your client in staying stress-free on all fronts.
In this episode, you will hear:
- The importance of separating facts from feelings and fiction
- Why avoiding defensiveness is crucial for successful communication
- How to create win-win scenarios for yourself and your client
- Real-life examples of how these principles have helped me and my clients achieve better outcomes in our projects
Follow and Review:
We’d love for you to follow us if you haven’t yet. Click that purple ‘+’ in the top right corner of your Apple Podcasts app. We’d love it even more if you could drop a review or 5-star rating over on Apple Podcasts. Simply select “Ratings and Reviews” and “Write a Review” then a quick line with your favorite part of the episode. It only takes a second and it helps spread the word about the podcast.
- When you’re ready to take your design practice to the next level, explore your expert coaching and training options with Melissa Galt.
- Follow me on Instagram, Facebook, and LinkedIn @MelissaGalt and TikTok @MelissaGaltBusinessCoach