1. Make it Personal … Using the big box retailers for decorating is a real time saver, but it’s up to you to personalize with photographs, mementos, and collections.
2. Layer the Character … From the floor by adding rugs, to the sofa by adding pillows, to the walls by adding artwork – it is all about layering to achieve personality and character in your home’s interior.
3. Go for Comfort not just Good Looks … I know you saw that really cool chair in a catalog and had to have it, only to find that no one, including you, will sit in it: it’s woefully uncomfortable. OOPS! Remember, it needs to function as well as look good.
4. Little changes make a big difference … Consider changing hardware on your kitchen cabinets – it’s a seemingly little change that has a big impact. Save the old ones for when you go to sell.
5. Don’t get bored, restore seasonally … Change your accents with the season. Think hot colors for the winter and fall months: reds, oranges, golds, and persimmons. You’ll want cooler tones in the summer and spring: cool blues, fresh greens, crisp whites, and soothing lavenders. By changing out your pillows, an art piece or two, or a couple of accents, you can transform and re-energize.