Is your business real or imaginary? It’s an important question.
Are you making excuses or making money?
I experienced two conversations this week with coaches, both of whom, currently have imaginary businesses. One has named it and claimed it and is ready to move into a real business that makes real money and give up the endless string of excuses.
The other coach hasn’t named it and is in denial so won’t be moving forward.
In case you aren’t sure, an imaginary business is one that makes very little or no money, you do actual revenue producing work less than 10 hours a month, and you share a continual string of excuses as to why you aren’t farther along the path to success.
Excuses you might be making include:
- I can’t afford a website . . .
- I don’t have a logo . . .
- I need another certification . . .
- I’m waiting until after Memorial Day . . .
- I’m waiting until my kids are grown up . . .
- I don’t have the right image . . .
- I hate networking . . .
- The economy is still uncertain . . .
- I don’t understand social media . . .
- I feel overwhelmed . . .
- Everyone says XYZ about the kind of person I am . . .
Do you want to stop having an imaginary business, and enjoy making a real difference for real money with real clients? It’s simpler than you might think.
Oh, and there is one question you need to answer first . . . WHY do you want to have a business?
Without a big enough why and actual numbers applied, you won’t do the necessary work and remain imaginary.
Here are some WHY’s to inspire you . . .
- I want to empower women in my culture to live freely and follow their dreams.
- I want to take care of my aging parents comfortably.
- I want to fund trusts for my children’s college education.
- I want to find a cure for XYZ disease.
- I want to create a foundation that invests in the dreams of entrepreneurs.
- I want to experience freedom from financial anxiety and enjoy financial security.
- I want to live in a penthouse in NYC.
- I want to spend a week on The Orient Express.
Now, that you’ve got your WHY . . .(and if you still don’t, keep working it, it’s the cornerstone to your success) you can take the next 5 steps to taking your business from imaginary to real. Coming up in next week’s post!
SHARE YOUR WHY in the comments below!